icon-button-arrow icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-instagram

Veterans Education Benefits

The GI Bill veterans education benefit is an earned benefit which can be utilized by veterans and eligible beneficiaries. This benefit can provide up to 36 months of education benefits to be utilized towards education and training such as undergraduate or graduate degrees, vocational certifications, on-the-job training, high school diploma programs, flight training, college correspondence, and professional license and certification. Eligibility for this benefit is determined by time in service and can be influenced by characterization of discharge and/or disability rating. The final arbiter of education benefit eligibility is the the Veterans Benefits Administration Education Services.

For a list of approved programs in the state of Idaho visit http://veterans.idaho.gov/education.

Solicitar en línea

Go to the Vets.gov Education website to submit your application. You will need to create a login and password in order to complete this process.  You may be asked to provide some additional forms if you apply online. If you have access to a scanner, you can scan these forms and submit them online. If you are a qualified beneficiary you would choose the dependent's application and enter the Veterans service information with your contact and school information.

Solicitar por correo postal, correo electrónico o fax

You can submit a paper application called Form 22-1990. (Form 22-5490 for spouses and dependent children under age 26 of veterans). Once completed, mail it to:

VA Regional Processing Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

You will need to send the application along with a copy of your Certificate of Release of Discharge from the service (DD form 214). You should receive a written response within two to eight weeks from submission of the application.

***Note*** If you are a Veteran who is eligible for more than one chapter you will have to relinquish one benefit to choose the other. Once this choice is made it is irrevocable. See the VA's Education and Training page of the va.gov website and use the comparison tool to decide which chapter would work best with your goals. For more information about each specific chapter available see the Education Programs page of the va.gov website.

If you have trouble with the application process, you can contact a VA Education Case Manager (1-888-442-4551) to ask for help.


Eligibility depends upon specific benefit applied for, and the Veterans Benefits Administration Education Services is the ultimate arbiter of eligibility. For more information regarding specific criteria visit one of the following:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
The absence of the registration symbol ® does not constitute a waiver of VA's trademark rights in that phrase.
Read our Terms of Use


People Interested in this were also interested in