icon-button-arrow icon-facebook icon-twitter icon-instagram

Help for Children with Developmental Disabilities

The Children’s Developmental Disabilities Program provides a system of care that has a wide array of home and community based services for children including intervention services, support services, and respite. The system emphasizes evidence-based treatment methods, community integration, and family empowerment. 

Services can be delivered under a traditional pathway by a Developmental Disabilities Agency (DDA) or under Family Directed services option where the parent acts in the role of the employer. 

A Case Manager is available to assist you to develop your child's plan of services and navigate children's services.

Apply over the Phone or In Person

 Call: Toll free (1-877-333-9681) or in the Boise area (208-334-6500)

 Visit: Visit the closest office near you

Apply by Mail, Email or Fax

To apply for help with the Children's Developmental Disabilities Program, download and fill out an application. Return the application by email, mail, hand delivery, or fax. 

 Email: ChildrensDDIntake@dhw.idaho.gov

 Mail or Hand Deliver:  Children's DD Application/Intake, DHW FACS 5th floor, 450 West State Street, Boise, Idaho 83720

 Fax: 208-332-7331 Attn: Children's DD Application


Children must be Medicaid eligible and have a developmental disability.  If your child has not applied for Medicaid, please contact your local Self Reliance office at toll free 1-877-456-1233 or in the Boise area 334-6700.

You can apply for Children's DD services once your child is approved for Medicaid.  Eligibility criteria includes:
• A diagnosis of a developmental disability such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism, or intellectual disability diagnosed by a physician, psychologist, or other practitioner of the healing arts. 
• The disability must result in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following areas: self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, mobility, self-direction, capacity for independent living or economic self-sufficiency.